[CAUT] Hurdy Gurdy

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Sep 12 15:40:02 MDT 2006

On Sep 12, 2006, at 9:47 AM, Jeff Tanner wrote:

> The "hammers" on this one actually rested on the string, in a way
> serving as both the hammer and the damper simultaneously and what
> sustain exists happens because the hammer becomes like a fret, like
> "hammering on" with a fretted instrument.
Hi Jeff,
	Yes, that picture looks very familiar. Probably the same beastie
(mine is also reddish in color). I think it more likely that my
interpretation of the hammers is correct, that they are intended to
hit the strings and then rebound to a position slightly away from the
strings, allowing free resonance to the strings (no damping at all).
It has the right sound to my ear, played like that. Much like the
sound of a hammered dulcimer. It's just a matter of bending the wires
the hammers are on a wee bit, though that's a bit dicey what with the
type of plastic. Definitely hold the wire positively while bending
rather than stress the plastic body. Or maybe there is a way to
adjust the position of the whole action a bit.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu