[CAUT] stack fit to keyframe

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Sep 14 10:16:39 MDT 2006

At 9:01 pm -0700 13/9/06, David Ilvedson wrote:

>I found your website...couldn't see much except some bass string info...
>
>Your grand piano project sounds interesting...I wasn't allowed
>access...must be top secret?

I'm afraid so for the moment.  The DGP project has been rather
delayed by various things, first the collapse of some funding and
this year by my illness and a major operation I had in the spring.
Things should get going in earnest after next spring when I shall be
relocating to new premises ( a converted grain silo!) that will
finally provide the space I need.  The DGP (initially about 7ft)
will be surprising in many ways but the soundboard is the most
surprising feature.  Last year I 'proved the concept' in a 5'2"
grand.  If I had known how complete this proof was to be, I would not
have bothered with such a short piano  and done the experiment with a
longer piano.  The next thing, pending sufficent funds for the whole
project, will be the rebuilding of a pair of twin Kirkmans from about
1865, 6'9" instruments with serial numbers only 3 digits apart!  One
of them will retain the original soundboard and one will be fitted
with the special soundboard.  This will allow direct comparison.

You can read a little and hear the results here:
<http://pianomaker.co.uk/gk.html>
of the first experiment.

As to the action for the piano, yes I have drawings, a movie and a
working model but this is also secret.  It is most unlikely I shall
patent it, except perhaps for one important feature of general
application, but I want it first to appear in _my_ piano and not
anyone else's.  The action is not in the Erard line but in the
Backers/Stodart line, in other words the 'English Action' continuing
from Brinsmead but not going in the direction of the
Herrburger-Brooks spring and loop action.  The Achilles heel of the
English action, especially when fitted to a powerful 'modern' piano
subjected to much use, has always been the wear of the notch cushion,
leading to ever-increasing touch weight and eventual unplayability.
My action has several completely original features but most important
of them is the elimination of this grave defect.  The action is
virtually friction-free, is very stable, and repeats at speeds not
achievable with any other action.  Eventually I shall publish
details.  It is very satisfying to have designed an action that
completely bypasses the French developments and is rooted firmly in
the English tradition.

JD