[CAUT]   Bushing cloth thickness

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Wed Aug 1 13:22:56 MDT 2007

> I wrote:
> .162"cauls, and stock cloth, I do very little easing.   I find that putting
> cauls
>  in that are about .015" bigger than the pins gives me the right amount of
> clearance.
>
> John writes:
> Must be something in the branch water down there because for .145 f/r pins
>  I use a .147 caul in the summer and .152 caul in the winter to accommodate
>  for seasonal humidity swings.
>
> The use of heated cauls, and the KBI may account for the difference.   I
don't like to heat the felt, since that kinks the fibers and hardens it.   These
bushings are quite loose when I pull   the larger, cold cauls out, but within a
day or so, they have returned to their normal dimension and the keys feel
great.   I bush fairly tightly here at the school, since within a semester,
everybody has clearance.

regards,

Ed Foote RPT