[CAUT] Black on Black... (Jack alignment)

Michael Wathen michael.wathen at wapin.com
Sun Aug 5 08:41:42 MDT 2007

I learned how to do it completely by feel.  I believe I learned the
following method from Garlick.

1. Pull the action out and on to the key bed just far enough so that all the
hammers are blocked in their travel when depressed by the key by the
superposition of the pinblock over the hammers.

2.  Turn the screw adjustment on the jack lever to the point where you can
just get the jack to skip out from under the knuckle.

3.  Turn the screw adjustment the other direction to the point where the
jack will again remain blocked under the knuckle without skipping out.

This is the ideal adjustment.  It positions the jack where is will have to
do the least amount of required work; one more thing you can do to maximize
the efficiency of the action.

Michael Wathen
Retired tech