[CAUT] Black on Black... (Jack alignment)

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 6 11:49:39 MDT 2007

Jim-

My eyes and back are such that there is no pain free way to do a visual adjustment of the jack tip to knuckle core on any piano, let alone a Kawai with Millennium action parts.

The nuckljac will do a very, very fast job of first pass jack tip regulation, but since it uses the neighboring knuckle as a reference, it is only as accurate as the knuckles are consistent.  It's necessary to do a second pass holding down the hammer head while pressing on the key.  Both passes take less time than it would take me to do a visual regulation...which would still require even more follow up testing.

I think Mike Wathen's method using the pinblock to hold the hammers is neat and (once he said it) self-evident.  It leaves one hand to turn the tool, one to press the key, so I look forward to trying it.

I am very grateful for the nuckljac invention.

Ed Sutton