[CAUT] jack repetition

Chris Solliday solliday at ptd.net
Sat Aug 11 18:34:07 MDT 2007

For Tim C and Fred S and others interested in this minutia:
I'm going to whirlpool abit here and I hope this is worthwhile. I think Fred is absolutely correct regarding rapid fire, "the fastest repetition," particularly reduction of aftertouch and spring tension, but there are many qualities of repetition and I think some of those may be better served by having the jack aligned closer to the player. I'm not sure why I say that other than some anecdotal experience in the concert field that I may have misconstrued. But..  For one thing if the jack does manage to recover completely into its rest cushion that would be a shorter distance and allow "faster" repetition than one which travelled farther. Would it go all the way to the cushion at the same speed of repetition, I guess not since the timeing of the player would catch the jack at the same place. I was thinking of unequal note repetition. I only remember a few times when players responded to changing the position towards them positively and I must admit that I'm not sure that their acceptance wasn't more based on as Fred notes a "sense of touch." But they did at least imagine that their repetition improved. This could be more psychological for having asked for something and then felt something like it. Now that I have hashed this around I'm sure that Fred is right.  Anyway this is really small potatoes. I think the most important thing I have gleaned lately about this alignment is that many more players prefer the more positive feeling of having the jack further under. And here it is not the slowing of repetition that they like, but rather a "sense of touch" again as Fred has said.
I'll go out on a limb here, until Fred saws it off, and say I think it is more important that the balancier function and be regulated well, and that in fact other than avoiding cheating, the jack could be left almost anywhere as long as it was consistent and the spring and flange worked. If I have 30 minutes to go over the regulation it is one of the last things I look at but then also because as Fred says you can move it fairly independently. Mostly then I do ala Garlick just for safety. SO I should have titled this "as Fred says, except for certain qualities of repetition I think..."
Chris Solliday