[CAUT] Reaming block?

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Wed Aug 15 13:41:10 MDT 2007

On Aug 15, 2007, at 11:48 AM, Alan McCoy wrote:

> Hi Folks (at least those of you still out there),
>
> I'm about to repin a not-too-old pinblock. It had 2/0 pins and I'm
> gonna use
> LoTorq 3/0 pins. The block felt fine. I'm restringing because of other
> issues with this piano - wildly mismatched bass strings, false
> beats and
> such. I'd like to find out how other folks treat the block before
> re-pinning. Anyone ream? With what type of bit?
>
> I have tried reaming with a double-fluted reamer in the past but
> didn't like
> the results. Too inconsistent. I've also just done nothing to the
> block,
> with good results.
>
> Your thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Alan

Hi Alan,
We just restrung an early 70s Steinway B and did nothing to the block
with great results.  We did use 4/0 pins, and they're pretty tight.
3/0 might have worked, but I'll never know now, huh?

Maybe these will last another 35 years and the next guy can put a
block in.
Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina