[CAUT] Steinway Upright tuning

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Aug 15 22:33:38 MDT 2007

> List,
> I'm a recent RPT and caut.   Today I was forced to take a break while
> tuning a Steinway Model 45 piano due to the squirminess of the pitch.
> Can anyone suggest a plan of attack on these particular (or any Steinway
> upright) that makes for an efficient tuning session?
> Thanks,
> Joe
>
> Joe Wiencek

You mean other than drugs, or declining to participate
altogether? Not that you need to be in the altogether to
decline to participate, but in this case it's worth serious
consideration if there's a chance it'll help.

Best I've found is hammer at 11:00, do your best to minimize
pin flagpoling, forget automatic formula processes and deal
directly in real time in excruciating detail with each and
every pin, and mutter as many incantations as possible during
the process to bring down an eternal plague of exceptionally
toxic fleas on the designer of these wretched things. It may
not actually help, but it's as close as I've been able to come
to the illusion of meaningful participation in dealing with
these overweight family photograph display shelves.

Ron N