[CAUT] Steinway Upright tuning

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Thu Aug 16 04:33:38 MDT 2007

Joe Wiencek wrote:
> List,
> I'm a recent RPT and caut.   Today I was forced to take a break while
> tuning a Steinway Model 45 piano due to the squirminess of the pitch.
> Can anyone suggest a plan of attack on these particular (or any Steinway
> upright) that makes for an efficient tuning session?
> Thanks,
> Joe
>
> Joe Wiencek

Thinking impure thoughts is a natural part of the process but, beyond
that, a good anti-flagpoling hammer technique (hammer as close to
parallel to the string as possible and all motion parallel to the string
plane) and pounding like #*^# seem to work the best. (Protek at that
pressure-bar-on-steroids won't hurt either.)

Meditation/medication/commiseration

--
Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.