[CAUT] Steinway Upright tuning

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Aug 16 09:56:18 MDT 2007

Don,

Would this "springy pin" be one possibility why there are so many false
beats in nearly every one I've ever tuned?  We have 8 of them here at UNL
and they are 1098's from the 60's. The mid sections are all fairly
beatless, but the killer octave all the way to the top on every one is
wicked.

Or could it be a combo of springy pins, high friction, high coils etc
causing the FB's? Are there other tricks to try?  I like the idea of
tuning sharp and then pull down to set pitch.  I think I'll try that right
now.

Thanks

Paul

"Don Mannino" <DMannino at kawaius.com>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
08/16/2007 10:15 AM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

"College and University Technicians" <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] Steinway Upright tuning

Joe,

I'll offer a different approach from some of the others.  I used to tune
a few of these, and once I sort of got a handle on the tuning technique,
they didn't bother me much after that.

The root problems behind the difficulty are high string friction and
high string coils (re: long tuning pins), creating a flexible pin that
is constantly sprung down.  In addition, the amount of pin set into the
block may not be as much as we are used to, changing the feel of the pin
when turning it.  Keep in mind that in this kind of configuration the
tuning pin itself is a spring, and that the 'spring' is loaded downward
all the time by string tension.

My technique was to tune it up above pitch normally, then settle the pin
into a stable spot in the block like usual, but with the pitch still
somewhat sharp.  How much sharp you have to find by experiment - not
necessarily a lot, but it depends on the string friction in that
particular piano.

Then with the tuning lever close to 12:00 I would only spring the pin
downwards a little - no turning motion at all for this fine tuning.
Don't bend the pin with steady pressure, but nudge the top of the tuning
lever straight towards you to bounce the pin without turning it.  If you
can't get the pitch down enough by springing only, go back and use your
turning motion to settle the pin closer to final pitch, then 'spring'
down for fine tuning.  If springing sends the pitch too flat, then
re-settle the pin slightly more sharp before springing.

I found these pianos to be exceptionally stable, and once I got
comfortable with this tuning method, I had no complaints with them.

I have been told that recent revisions in these models have made them
much less springy with less friction as well.  I haven't tuned any new
ones, though.

Don Mannino