[CAUT] Dead (New) bass strings

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Thu Aug 16 13:22:13 MDT 2007

List,

While trying to save some bucks I used an old (10 years?) set of bass strings for a D. They were still coiled and wrapped in plastic. About ½ of them were dead! Sooo... I have another spare set (About 4 years old) hanging straight on some hooks for emergency repairs. The trichords were also dead, for the most part. Rolled or straight, wrapped or in open air, it doesn't seem to matter.

I don't get it. How can bass strings go dead in storage? And, why? There was a thread on this months ago, but it seems totally bizarre to me that this could happen. I've been told to ALWAYS order a fresh set.

 I guess a penny saved is a penny wasted.

Jim Busby BYU