[CAUT] disabling individual notes

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Thu Aug 16 14:27:22 MDT 2007

On Aug 15, 2007, at 7:35 PM, Thomas Seay wrote:

> Why would you need to pull the stack?
>
> Just use the same procedure you use for setting key dip, i.e., lift
> the front of the key up and slip the extra cloth punching over the
> pin, being careful not to lift too high. In my view, that is the
> fastest way to do it.
>
> Tom

I've never been able to make that work without feeling like I was
compromising the stability of the paper or card punching.  When you
cut the paper punching, and put creases in it bending it around the
keypin, it seems to me to make the regulation unreliable.  So, I've
always done it the old fashioned way with the stack off.

On Aug 15, 2007, at 7:00 PM, reggaepass at aol.com wrote:
> Any particular reason you would use cardboard punchings instead of
> cloth?

Just in case the cloth wasn't firm enough to prevent accidents?  The
card punching stack would be more stable and accident proof.  Also,
cloth might be more difficult to "regulate" to support the key high
enough.  And, I usually have a thousand cardboard ones around and
don't want to break a set of cloth, but that's just me being anal.

:-)
Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina