[CAUT] teflon's beginnings

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Aug 20 08:11:28 MDT 2007

And UNM made its major purchase of Bs and Ds when the fine arts
building was complete, in 1963 (lucky me!). This is teflon A, which
should be distinguished from teflon B: smaller teflon inserts,
without ridges. This design was the source of the clicking problems
with humidity change (clicks between the teflon and the wood of the
part, not between centerpin and teflon), and, I believe, high
friction due to binding at the other extreme of humidity (the wood
hole shrinking, and the teflon, not being hefty enough to resist, was
squeezed around the pin). The thicker inserts with ridges addressed
those problems pretty well. I don't know when that change was made.
Probably in the 70s.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico