[CAUT] Getting paid for non-university events

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 20 15:43:33 MDT 2007

Rob,

Here at San Francisco State, there are two ways that I can get paid by the University for doing outside events:

1. As overtime. The University collects fees from the outside organization as part of the booking, and pays me for the time spent on these events as overtime, over and above my regular paycheck. We have a very nice rule here too - any overtime call is a minimum of 4 hours, no matter how much time is actually spent. I just have to get the person who books the events to authorize the overtime - which is routine if the user requests a tuning outside regular work hours and pays for it.

2. As a contractor. For this I have to fill out the paperwork that any contractor fills out, and establish a contractor relationship with the department  that would contract for my services - and submit a bill afterwards.

Maybe if you suggest some such mechanism to the appropriate bureauacrat at your place, they'll figure out how to do it. In an institutional environment sometimes you have to take the initiative and suggest the bureaucratic framework for doing something. Because without some such framework nothing can happen - especially with money...

Israel Stein