[CAUT] SAT numbers

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Mon Aug 20 18:39:22 MDT 2007

Fred writes:( and I take somewhat out of context, but still on the subject)

<<  But when all the octaves are obviously too wide in the
calculated tuning, reducing their width in a systematic way is often
a good solution. I would typically just do a 6:3 (play the octave
above, stop the lights to that note, then tune the lower note).
Occasionally I would do a slightly narrowed 6:3. And usually I would
only have to do this for a short section before the calculated tuning
was fine. >>

     I think the best of all possible worlds is when we can combine our
aural, aesthetic sense, with modern technology.  So,  what I have found, when faced
with a small scale that is obviously going to need my ear to help the machine
tune it, is to aurally tune a string of octaves down to the bottom of the
bass. "A" is as good as any.
    When I have aurally found a place where I can accept the octave width, I
then use the Double Octave Button on the Sat III to alter the FAC tuning so
that I stop the lights at the bottom of the string.  Rarely do I go above .3 or
.4 on the DOB.  Then I simply use this setting and plug the FAC into the
piano.
   Sometimes, and only rarely, do I find I want to change the DOB setting
from say, .2 to .3 on the way to the first octave.  This procedure is very
helpful when using a non-ET, since there is no way to use progressive, chromatic,
beating to help in the alignment.
    At times, there will be a wild note obvious after I do this, and on those
occasions, I simply tune it into a compromised position by ear.  No need to
waste time measuring and fussing with the machine.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
the all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>