[CAUT] disabling individual noes

Aaron Bousel abousel at comcast.net
Wed Aug 22 10:52:10 MDT 2007

I haven't tried this so maybe there's something I'm missing, but how
about a tuning pin plate bushing, possibly with a cloth balance rail
punching to keep things quiet, slipped onto the front rail pin?

Aaron

At 11:23 AM 8/22/2007, you wrote:
>This is indeed the kind of stuff useful to have in one's bag of
>tricks at a place like CalArts.  Just for the record, though, this
>particular situation was a private call for an artist from New York
>in L. A. for some performances.  He was ultimately referred to me
>because of my experience in the realm of realizing original tuning
>systems and extended techniques.  (Plus, like the guy in the Verizon
>ads, I've got this amazing network behind me!)
>
>Just for the record, making the jack cheat was a bit too unreliable
>on soft blows (as in grazing a key that one did not intent to
>actually play), so in the end we went with adding cloth punchings to
>the front pins. Were I to do this again, I would use an arch punch
>with a diameter equivalent to the width of a sharp to trim down the
>punchings for those keys (so as not to interfere with adjacent naturals).
>
>Cheers,
>
>Alan Eder

Aaron Bousel
Registered Piano Technician, Piano Technicians Guild
abousel at comcast.net
(413) 253-3846 (voice & fax)