[CAUT] Scientific study - Stainless wire (Help!)

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 27 15:24:28 MDT 2007

Jim-

See http://scaleripper.com/ for a fine new shareware scaling program which includes a scaling program for Pure Sound Wire!

Ed Sutton
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jim Busby
  To: College and University Technicians
  Cc: suinegdiputs at yahoo.com
  Sent: Monday, August 27, 2007 5:09 PM
  Subject: [CAUT] Scientific study - Stainless wire (Help!)

  List,

  We (BYU) finally are ready to do some scientific studies of stainless wire. This will be conducted by Physics professors/students here at BYU. Could any of you help me pose some "questions", "queries" or whatever you want to call it, for these studies?

  One of our student piano technicians is doing his senior project and his professors (who we've bugged for years) are just now getting excited about this.

  Here are some things I've thought of;

    1.. What are the actual differences in sound between stainless and Mapes or Roslau? (Spectrum, etc.)
    2.. What are the differences in inharmonicity between the two?
    3.. (how?) Do bass strings with stainless core sound different than other core?
    4.. etc..

  Jim Ellis, others, I'd really like some input on this. We have our ducks in a row so now is the time.

  Thanks,

  Jim Busby BYU