[CAUT] Scientific study - Stainless wire (Help!)

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Mon Aug 27 15:29:11 MDT 2007

In a message dated 8/27/07 11:11:25 A.M. Hawaiian Standard Time,
jim_busby at byu.edu writes:

We (BYU) finally are ready to do  some scientific studies of stainless wire.
This will be conducted by Physics  professors/students here at BYU. Could any
of you help me pose some  “questions”, “queries” or whatever you want to
call it, for these  studies?
One of our student piano  technicians is doing his senior project and his
professors (who we’ve bugged  for years) are just now getting excited about
this.
Here are some things I’ve thought  of;
    1.  What are the actual  differences in sound between stainless and Mapes
or Roslau? (Spectrum,  etc.)
    2.  What are the  differences in inharmonicity between the two?
    3.  (how?) Do bass  strings with stainless core sound different than
other  core?
    4.  etc….
Jim Ellis, others, I’d really like  some input on this. We have our ducks in
a row so now is the  time.
Thanks,
Jim Busby  BYU

Jim

We all know what rust can do to strings. But how does that effect the tone
of the string? What I would to see is some micro photos of strings with  rust,
the oxidation process, and the difference in tone between a rusted  string and
non-rusted string.

Willem (Wim)  Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu,  Hawaii