[CAUT] Pitch recognition

Don Mannino DMannino at kawaius.com
Wed Aug 29 12:08:18 MDT 2007

Dave,

An anecdote:

When I worked for Young Chang we had an employee with very precise
"perfect pitch," meaning that he could sing pitches very accurately with
no reference.

When I would tune pianos I would sometimes ask him in passing to let me
know if a note was sharp or flat.  I once tuned one string of A4 to 441,
and the other to 440, then asked him which was correct.  He could easily
tell which was sharp and which was flat, but he had trouble deciding
which was "correct."  He first said he couldn't tell, but he thought the
441 string was correct.  After I tuned (with the A at 440) he walked
through the room later and played the note, and said, OK, this sounds
correct to me - the sharp one before must have been set too high.

So, the exact pitch level is really learned, and even the best ears
acquire what 'A' should be from hearing music.  In my opinion, if we
consistently hear 442 because we like listening to an orchestra that
tunes there, then I think that will sound correct to the most sensitive
musical ear.

I have other anecdotes - like the relatively well known choral director
who walked through Kawai's showroom after I had tuned about 6 pianos,
and commented emphatically that A4 was flat when he tried one.  Then he
checked the other pianos, and said, "Well, who tuned these pianos! All
of the As are flat!!"

Don Mannino

  _____