[CAUT] Bosendorfer on wheels

Andrew Anderson andrew at andersonmusic.com
Wed Aug 29 19:55:44 MDT 2007

Kent,
I had a smaller but similar problem with a Kawai RX 4 or 5.  The
pedals were so close to the floor that the pianist was complaining
that it was difficult to play.  It needed a small lift up to get a
reasonable angle.  I ended up figuring 1" in that case.  I drilled
plywood for pipe stock to go in the caster socket hole.   Sanded and
spray painted the plywood gloss black and stuck one under each
leg.  This got the height we wanted and kept the piano secure.  In
your case I think this might not work as well.  The closer those
blocks get to being cubes the more likely they will rock over and
dump the piano on a threshold.  Tighter pipe stock might secure this
effectively though, I just wanted enough to catch the piano if it slid.

The alternative might be to look at different sized casters from an
industrial supply store.  NorthernTool.com has a variety to look at
for example.  Search for casters.  I haven't done this but I could
imagine having to do it to a Hamburg legged NY D here...

Andrew Anderson, Artisan Piano