[CAUT] Pitch recognition

Greg Granoff gjg2 at humboldt.edu
Fri Aug 31 12:01:24 MDT 2007

Phil, Fred, et.al,

Interesting thread.  I was one of the subjects in the study in question, and
after being tested, I was asked to pull anyone in my extended family who
might also be afflicted with this ability into the study as a subject if
they were willing.  As it happens, I have a cousin who teaches piano at
William and Mary who qualifies, and everyone in both our immediate families
was asked to give them mouth swabs for genetic study.
The exact differences between one person and another when both have perfect
pitch, and both are the same age are still being worked out I'm sure, and
these differences were spoken about to me by a spokesperson for the study
during a conversation at one point. If I remember correctly, they identified
something like 4 "versions" of the trait. Apparently some people have a kind
of hyper acuity that is unaffected by the timber of the pitch source (which
would mean overtone profiles of course).  My mentor could identify the pitch
of a screwdriver hitting the concrete floor, whereas I've always needed a
bit longer duration of pitch and more familiar tone quality--a piano, a
flute, a violin, or that peculiar Eb buzz the bottom panel spring lock of
the Weber upright made:-)  In the test, I had difficulties in the outer
ranges of the "pure" tones--I obviously need an overtone series to
experience recognition.  This was 4 years ago, and I might have already
begun to experience the change. I'm sad to say, that at age 54, much of the
difficulty they describe re the phenomena "fading out" are present, and it
is like an old, utterly constant friend who is no longer completely
reliable. Some days right on, some days off by --yup-- a half step.

All this personal stuff aside, my understanding of the phenomenon is that it
is a kind of memory phenomenon requiring a genetic marker, more than
anything else.  Anyone with normal relative pitch can be told "this is a C"
as it is played on the piano, and for a certain period of time afterwards,
if the note is played again, they will "remember" it immediately as a C
without seeing the keyboard or needing a reference.  This might be one
minute, 10 minutes, or 30 seconds, depending on the person.  A person with
absolute pitch simply has the ability to "remember" indefinitely so that
instantaneous recognition occurs at any point without re-establishing the
reference.  Exactly how the brain processes the input that activates memory
is the big question.

Greg Granoff
HSU