[CAUT] 1/4 tone piano conversion

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 15:50:14 MST 2007

Yes, I'm sure there are electronic keyboards out there that can do this.

The name for this is 24 tone-to-the-octave equal temperament, and it
has a long history, although this is not a particularly interesting
temperament. I think it keeps coming up because it is so easy to
conceptualize.

Back in the days of voltage-controlled synthesizers, you just adjusted
the pot that set the control voltage between the keyboard and
oscillator(s) and you could get any number of notes in any interval
you wanted as long as you could settle for equal temperament.

Later, when MIDI came along, this temperament could be set up similar
to the 2 pianos tuned a quarter-step apart. You could take two
identical synth modules a quarter-step apart, and then use a computer
to map a MIDI keyboard to control both synths -- C on the keyboard
controller would play C on one of the synths and C# would play the C
on the other synth tuned a quarter-step up and so on.

I mention this mapped keyboard technique because one could take 2
PianoDisk pianos or 2 Disklaviers, tune them a quarter-step apart, and
use a controller keyboard and computer to map the controller keyboard
to play both pianos from one keyboard. (Play half-steps on the
keyboard and hear quarter-steps from the pianos.)

2 Disklaviers would likely be slightly cheaper than designing and
building a quarter-step piano.  8^)

I might also suggest trying the technique with a computer and synths,
because that would be cheap-cheap and would probably show the composer
that this isn't a very interesting way of approaching microtonal scales.

Kent Swafford