[CAUT] Missouri-Columbia Position Announcement

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK at missouri.edu
Tue Dec 4 08:10:32 MST 2007

Hey, List,

Yeah, I'm afraid this position is opening up, and the reason is one we have
all become familiar with: tinnitus and hyperacusis.  Things aren't too bad
right now, although they have been very slowly, but steadily, getting worse
for a year or so.  I decided to make the jump now, instead of waiting around
for a sudden, dramatic deterioration in my hearing and my mental state.
Plan B is in the works, and if all goes well I'll have a little something to
brag about in a few months.

As an aside, I have been using hearing protection for quite a few years.
That's probably the main reason I've been able to hang on as long as I have.
The ER-20s from Pianotek have been wonderful.

A word about the position.  This is a great place to work.  Every time one
of you vents about one of the goofballs you work for, I just smile.  If not
for my hearing problems, you couldn't have got me out of this job with high
explosives.  All the usual problems are here, of course: not enough money,
not enough time, too many pianos for one guy to take care of, etc.  Nothing
new about that.  But the people are great, and the support I get from the
faculty and administration is exemplary.  Internal politics are as minimal
as I have seen in any organization, and what little there are don't really
impact me.  There are also plenty of opportunities for extra work, both on
campus and in developing private clients.

Oh, yeah, and we've got a pretty decent football team, too. (!!!)

In short, I can recommend this position to anyone who wants to be a
full-time CAUT.

Regards,
Ken Z.

--