[CAUT] unmusical caster noise

Christopher Purdy purdy at ohio.edu
Wed Dec 5 09:24:20 MST 2007

We had this exact problem but it was a front one, drivers side.  I
found that it was the shaft of the caster inside the hole drilled in
the leg.  The shaft wasn't "loose" but had just enough slop that the
shaft would knock inside the hole.  I removed the entire caster and
shimmed that shaft with paper or tape and put it back in.

And yes, this D has only two locking wheels, both in front.  If I
remember right, our Bosendorfer had three locking casters but not the
Steinburgs.

Chris

On Dec 4, 2007, at 10:50 PM, Jim Busby wrote:

> All,
>
> The rear concert caster on one of our Ds “knocks” and I can’t seem
> to find the “fix”. If we orient it 90 degrees to the player it
> doesn’t knock, but if the stage crew forgets and it is in line with
> the player it will knock with vigorous playing. (Fairly loudly,
> like someone tapping their foot.) The leg seems to be tight. It is
> the actual wheel. It is the big expensive brass kind, but
> unfortunately not Jurgen’s. Any simple fix?
>
> The front castors lock (and have no problem) but the rear doesn’t.
> I can’t see how/where/why it is knocking, but it surely does.
>
> Thanks.
> Jim Busby BYU

Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.
Registered Piano Technician