[CAUT] becoming an all Steinway School

Joel A. Jones jajones2 at wisc.edu
Tue Dec 11 16:11:17 MST 2007

Paul,
Good advice from Rick.   My own experience at UWisc was with a variety
of pianos picked out
before I arrived.  A large endowment in 1969 let each faculty select
their own pianos for their studios
  with M&H, Bechstein, Bosendorfer, Yamaha, Baldwin, German Steinway,
NY Steinway,
  and Knight.

Talk about a good deal -  $600.00 for a U1.  Talk about recalls -  can
you say felt knuckles,
teflon bushings...

These selections happened when the building was built in 1969.  Now the
building is scheduled to be
demolished, but the pianos play on.  Tell that to your beam counters.
Acknowledging the fact that maintenance is not as glamorous as buying a
shiny new piano, we in CAUTland can make a big difference with
inventory problemsby concentrating on our number one job of putting our
best work before the piano public regardless of the name on the
fallboard.

Addressing the All Steinway label specifically it must be acknowledge
that a very, very small number of
graduating pianists will reach the stage where they will play only
Steinway.  Granted, everyone knows
the name, but the performance venues most of our graduates will
encounter will not be stocked with the
number one Steinway in town.

At the Annual Institute/convention we have a front row seat in hearing
the best pianos in the world.
Not only that, the best factory service technicians can show us how to
bring out the qualities built into each individual maker.

Another college I service the faculty and I asked dealers to bring
their best piano to the
school for the final selection.   The dealers who brought pianos had a
chance to promote the best
features of their piano.  The faculty chose the piano that played and
sounded the best for them .
Do the research and Buy Wisely.

One last word - warranties.  When problems develop and brand X has
loose tuning pins
why doesn't brand Y also have loose tuning pins?   Tell me now that
humidity is the problem. Or that the pianists beat the life out of X,
well, why does Y play on?

So, the moral to my story, like Rick's is to put the best available
piano in front of your school, let them play it,
see inside it, and hear it.  And, with alittle luck your students and
faculty will  discover that their University  graduates are prepared
for the REAL WORLD.

Joel
Joel Jones, RPT
Madison, WI