[CAUT] Yamaha sharps

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 18:26:32 MST 2007

On Dec 14, 2007 11:00 AM, Jeannie Grassi <jcgrassi at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Alan,
> This also happened with a Kawai grand.  I ended up buffing out the whites
> just fine, but Kawai opted at the time to replace the sharps.  Same
> Japanese
> key maker supplying both companies??
>
> Now I am taking care of a mid-80 C3 with unusually dirty keys and I think
> it
> might be the same thing.  Does anyone know the exact years that this
> problem
> existed?  Thanks
> jeannie

Hi Jeannie,

I have a C3 from early 1977 that just missed having those type of keys, I
have replaced them on a C3 from '86, a C5 from '84 and I'm about to ship a
set for a C7 from '87 so I would say from late '77 or early '78 through the
late '80's probably '89, when they began replacing the key sets which is
what they did when the pianos were still in warranty. I still have the old
keys from the "86 C3, they were barely 3 years old and Yamaha told me to
throw them away! Except for being gray not white they were in excellent
shape and I couldn't bring myself to do it. I repacked them in the box they
shipped the new ones in and I've had them ever since!

Just call Yamaha with the serial number and they will tell you. If they are
in that group they'll send a shipping box and an address to ship them to.
Figure on about 2 or 2 and a half weeks downtime for the piano. The person
that recovers them doesn't remove any wood from the keys so there is no
adjustment to be made just removal, packing, shipping and replacement. At
least that's what they claim, I'm shipping after Christmas, I'll let you
know.  <grin>

Mike
--
People who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those of us who are
doing it.
email mike at ifixpianos.com