[CAUT] Lessons from shoulder surgery

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 22:11:35 MST 2007

On Dec 19, 2007 2:28 PM, Jim Busby <jim_busby at byu.edu> wrote:

> Thanks Dennis,
>
> In my case the calcium growths comes with the genes, so catching it early
> with exercises probably wasn't an option. On my shoulder it looked like a
> tiny "saw" made of bone that cut flesh and tendon on every movement of my
> arm.
>
> I asked the doctor and therapist if I was doing something wrong to cause
> this to happen. Basically, tuning about 20,000 pianos with whatever
> technique used will do something to your body and your body will respond. In
> my case, it starts building calcium deposits.
>
> But doing the right exercises and using proper "ergonomic" technique can
> certainly lessen or delay the inevitable.
>
> Regards,
> Jim

Hi Jim,

I know what you're talking about, endoscopic surgery, that's what they used
when I went to Mayo and had my Carpal Tunnel surgery, both wrists, done at
the same time. A 3 stitch incision in the palm of the hand and a 3 stitch
incision at the base of the hand/wrist. Went home with bandages and drains
and came back the next day for removal of same and fitting of custom made
braces for each arm from mid-fingers to just below the elbow. Had to change
the dressings daily and add an antibiotic cream begin excercises as
prescribed in instruction sheet after 2 to 3 weeks back to work in 6 weeks.
I also had endoscopic knee surgery about 20 years ago, I can't even find the
scars from that anymore.
The other part of the Shoulder Doc's diagnosis and prognosis was that he
didn't expect a good result from my surgery because I had a perfectly
healthy shoulder with no trouble or problems until the injury. I had been
tuning pianos for, at that point 36 years and knew some stretches and
techniques for keeping it strong and healthy. My therapist explained to me
after she read what he sent in a follow-up letter detailing what he'd told
me in his office that he felt my shoulder was too worn out, for a good
surgical result, from my many years of tuning. I didn't hear him say
anything of the kind and I read the same letter and missed that entirely!!
So did my wife, a nurse of some 35+ years experience! I am not taking this
guy's word as the last word, I'm simply waiting for a surgery to come along
with a faster recovery time than the 6 months I was told it would take. I'm
keeping my options wide open, my regular doc is a young gal who keeps her
eye on these things for me.

Mike
--
People who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those of us who are
doing it.
email mike at ifixpianos.com