[CAUT] bid savvy

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Feb 1 08:29:58 MST 2007

Hi Lance,
	That's a great question. The short answer is no, I don't know of any
such thing. But it raises all sorts of issues, from standards to
qualifications, with communication thrown in for good measure. And it
exposes the bid process as the abomination it is, since we do lack
ways to define these things. We (the caut committee) are inching
along in that direction, but it's a troublesome thing to do
(suggestions are welcome any time).
	For the present, the university can try to limit bids to people who
meet certain standards: RPT, years experience, factory training
programs, people whose work has been examined and found acceptable,
these are a few suggestions. How to describe the work they want done?
I'm not sure factory spec is going to lead to the results they want.
Concert level prep might describe it (assuming that is, indeed, what
they are after). But of course that is going to be dependent on the
skills of the bidder.
	I'd emphasize skill, and focus on "body of work": bidder to provide
references and access to pianos he/she has worked on. See if the
state bid laws (I assume that's what you're dealing with) have
flexibility to allow for that kind of thing. Probably under
professional service contract regulations, for legal services and the
like (as opposed to things like building contracts). Structure the
bid to emphasize qualifications over price, probably by a rating
system, where you give, say, 60% to qualifications, 40% to price. You
could have a team of maybe three evaluators, each of whom rates the
bidders as to qualifications. Each of them goes out and examines the
sample workmanship. We do something similar in our bidding process
for purchasing pianos at UNM.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico