[CAUT] bid savvy

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Thu Feb 1 09:49:19 MST 2007

I think the first step in this process is related to Lance's last
statement. "The whole system just doesn't seem to be conducive
to getting good quality work, just the cheapest price."
Until universities recognize that in order to get quality work, it
will be necessary to pay a technician a wage comparable to what they
make in the private sector.

Fred, one of the things CAUT can do is ask PTG to do an in depth
survey of the income of piano tuners. Qualifications not withstanding,
until the PTG can show how much the top money makers in our field are
making, universities will have no bench mark from which to start. They
will continue to offer inadequate salaries, and then wonder how come
noone who is qualified to do the work will apply for the job.

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
School of Music