[CAUT] bid savvy

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Thu Feb 1 10:45:08 MST 2007

On Jan 31, 2007, at 10:42 PM, <lafargue at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Sorry if this is a duplicate, My other computer doesn't appear to
> be posting this msg.....
> Can anyone advise me on advising a university here on how to word a
> bid to techs and maximize the chance of getting what they want as
> far as level of work.  I mean, is "to factory spec"the only thing
> they can use as a standard to level the playing field on bidders?
> If they asked for a price on regulating a piano, seven techs will
> do more than one level of work and charge different amounts and all
> be able to call it a "regulation" (and factory spec is not even
> optimum at the highest levels).  They can ask for bids for concert
> tuning and voicing and get lots of different levels of work, even
> from RPT's.  Are there sources of info on handling this and
> optimizing the chances of getting what they are paying for?  The
> whole system just doesn't seem to be conducive to getting good
> quality work, just the cheapest price.   Thanks in advance.

This might just be the biggest problem we have in our profession.
And it doesn't end with schools putting out bids.  It happens every
day when you get that call from people getting prices from the yellow
pages advertisers.  RPT doesn't guarantee any level of skill, just a
floor level of basic competence, and we all know non members and
associates alike who just aren't interested in joining organizations
or being tested but whose work far surpasses RPT level.  Since our
profession is not regulated, we run a huge risk of anti trust legal
problems if the PTG dictates to private or public employers what
constitutes competence.

The CAUT committee is currently working on a form of continuing
education credit one can add to his or her resume, but it will only
be based on attendance of whatever classes happen to be available.
There is no skill level testing.  The only skill proving prerequisite
is RPT.

We have the same problem in the full time CAUT setting with wording
job descriptions.  The only wording I have seen that seems to
indicate a higher level of ability says something along the lines of
"successful concert preparation experience at the level required by
professional touring artists", and to provide some evidence of that
experience.  But even that has holes.  Perhaps requiring a list of