[CAUT] bid savvy

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Thu Feb 1 13:21:02 MST 2007

Quoting Jeff Tanner <jtanner at mozart.sc.edu>:

> On Feb 1, 2007, at 1:33 PM, Willem Blees wrote:
>
> >  I agree with you that
> > there are non members and Associates out there who might be better
> > than RPT's, but until they can put their money where their mouth
> is,
> > they will have a hard time getting their foot in the door.
>
> That's where it becomes an anti trust issue.  I think that point of
>
> view is treading on very thin legal ice.
>
> Where the problem manifests itself is when manufacturer's like Yamaha
>
> and Steinway don't specify RPT.  When a tech can complete all the
> levels of Steinway and Yamaha training, and tour with their touring
>
> artists, but not be qualified for CAUTism because they're not an RPT,
>
> the credibility of our claim suffers terribly.
> Jeff
>

> Jeff Tanner, RPT
> University of South Carolina

I believe we discussed this once before. I don't think it would be
considered anti trust if the university says they wan't an RPT for the
job, anymore than that when they are looking to hire a secretary that
they want someone with an Associates degree in business, or that a
plumber is a Journeyman with the union. For both of these of
positions, there are people who do not heve those "titles", but could
be qualified to do the job.

Willem Blees, RPT

Piano Tuner/Technician
School of Music
University of Alabama
Tuscaloosa, AL USJourneymaner/Technician
School of Music
University of Alabama
Tuscaloosa, AL USA