[CAUT] High profile artists

Greg Granoff gjg2 at humboldt.edu
Thu Feb 1 15:34:24 MST 2007

Hello Paul,

We had Mr. Corea here at Humboldt several years ago and his crew brought a
rental Yamaha with them.  We could have provided him a much more musical
piano but he seemed fine with what he had.  An hour and a half  of servicing
and he was happy.  My impression about these gigantic piano prep lists that
are sent out in advance of musicians on the road is that they are simply a
sort of heavy-handed attempt to cover all possible bases as a way of self
protection.  These guys undoubtedly have met up with some really stinky,
poorly prepared instruments, and with the assistance of a technician
somewhere along the line, have their people assemble a list of all the
things that might stand in the way of being able to play an instrument
without worry about user friendliness.  You as the tech get a shotgun blast
of stuff "to do", but it as long as the piano has a decent track record of
approval from previous artists, a normal, conscientious concert prep should
be just fine.

Chick Corea himself probably doesn't even know about half the stuff on the
list, and probably wouldn't want to. Relax.

Greg Granoff

HSU

  _____