[CAUT] Stretch

rwest1 at unl.edu rwest1 at unl.edu
Sun Feb 4 20:54:21 MST 2007

Numbers, numbers, numbers.  Yes, they can be helpful, but do they
adequately represent a piano tuning.  Look at it this way. (If you
don't want to wade through the first part, jump to "Conclusion" below)

F#4 aural tests = 2 beats to C#4, nearly pure to B3, 1 beat faster
than D3F#3, this makes a stretched octave.  If you had to do the
equivalent test by the numbers it would take several measurements,
and the resulting numbers would probably not end up exactly the same
figure.

Now look at B4.  Since F#4 was stretched a little bit, F#4/B4 can be
2 beats and the E4/B4 could be nearly pure.  The octave could have 1
beat without doing any harm and the 10th (G3/B4) could be one beat
faster than the third (G3/B3).  If you tried to figure all that out
by the numbers, I think you'd get different figures, and those
numbers would vary from piano to piano.  But aurally, those checks
lock in a note.  Go too far with any interval and it will show up in
the others.

Now look at the B5.  Since the B4 was stretched, it would seem that
the B5 will also be able to be pushed high.  But wait.  What about
the double octave.  Since the B3 is below A4, the B3 is actually
stretched a little low.  Therefore if you push the B5 too high, it
won't fit with the B3.  But the 10th/17th can be a little wide, with
the 17th a beat faster than the tenth, which is already a beat faster
than the G3/B3 third.

Now look at the B6.  It can be stretched higher than the other
octaves because the double octave B4/B6 uses the B4 which was an
upwardly stretched note.  The triple octave can be nearly pure
because the B3 is stretched slightly low.  The only octave to really
suffer is the single octave B5/B6.  But that octave is also a limiter
because no matter how you might want to stretch, there is a limit to
stretching that single octave and there's a limit to how fast the
17th (G4/B6) can really be.

Conclusion:
All of these aural tests would be possible to calculate, but
difficult and time consuming to do, especially for every note of the
piano.  Numbers and measuring don't, IMHO, capture the essence of
tuning.  ETD's can crunch some numbers, average them out, and give an
excellent calculated result, but whether or not those calculations
actually fit the piano depends on what you hear.

  Years ago I chose to stick with the aural methods because there was
more satisfaction in it.  The pattern I described above is what I
strive for because it seems to be what the piano "wants" and I think
it's safe to say that I'm not the only technician to aim for the same
pattern.  In fact that's the core of my contention that there really
is only one way to tune a concert grand.

If you can agree that most technicians tune the middle 75 to 80 notes
the same, then why haven't we described that pattern? To me, that's
the standard that any technician should know about and strive for.
Going by the numbers can lead to confusion, because the numbers can
create a construct that doesn't really fit a piano.

Also, see comment in text below

Richard West

On Feb 4, 2007, at 12:38 PM, Jon Page wrote:

> >For example in tuning a Steinway "D" my C8 ends up at 43.92 cents
> >and on a "B" 34.76 cents.  That means something to me.

It doesn't mean much to me without knowing the context of that
number, and for me context is everything in piano tuning.  75 cents
might be what C8 would have to be if it were pure with C5.  The
number could be 45 cents if C8 were pure with C6.  The number could
be lower yet if the single octave C7/C8 were pure.

The numbers in ETD's can be isolated and misleading in the total
context of the whole piano.