[CAUT] tuning pins on a Samick

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Feb 5 10:56:45 MST 2007

I know I can be as dense as the next guy, plenty denser than
some, and intermittently denser than everyone, but I don't see
how it's physically possible to whack big chips out of the
underside of a pinblock that has a heavy backing block jacked
up under it. The too long pins will put dents in the jack
plate (as I'm a witless to), but there's no way the block will
delaminate unless it's unsupported directly under where the
pin is being driven. Some part of the description of how this
happened is missing.

I agree that block replacement is in order.... But...

The pins were already too loose. Driving them deeper wasn't
the best approach, considering that you intended to drive ALL
of them. If the piano is (was before this) under warranty,
Samick should have been contacted either with, or for a
recommendation on how to proceed. At this stage, your options
are limited. From a mechanical perspective, the bottom of the
tuning pin hole is typically under nearly no stress at all.
The vast majority of the normal stuff that makes the system
work happens in the top half of the block. That being the
case, you have a possible bail out. Tell the customer what
happened. Show them the damage. Plead insanity. Tell them
you'll replace the block if you have to, and offer them an
alternative attempt first. CA what's there. It'll likely work,
and I expect you won't find any real differences in function
or feel between uncrunched sections, and crunched sections,
because the top half of the block should still be solid enough
for the CA to work. Explain that if it doesn't work, you'll
definitely replace the block, and give them a chance to extend
a little mercy. They may, or may not. People can be amazingly
forgiving when you level with them, and in your favor is the
understanding that the block wasn't exactly perfect in the
first place or the pins wouldn't have been loose.

Be candid, be thorough, be sincere, keep the theater to a
minimum, and you might end up with a relatively easy escape
and a loyal lifetime customer out of this. Oh, and no charge
for the CA and tuning, naturally.

Good luck,
Ron N