[CAUT] Tuning pins on a Samick

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 5 11:45:40 MST 2007

Funny this should come up just now...

I just finished typing this in over at Pianoworld.com:

CA is cyanoacrylate, or super glue...

Make sure you get fresh bottles. I always go with the brands available at
good hobby shops. (Hot Stuff, Pacer, Bob Smith - I know I'm leaving out
quite a few others.) I've been told to avoid the stuff you can get at
hardware stores or grocery stores - apparently there is something added to
those little bottles to extend the shelf life.

Bob Smith is my personal favorite because it comes in many different
"flavors".
http://www.bsiadhesives.com/

I've used the rubberized ones a lot because regular CA tends to form a
brittle bond. (not for tuning pins though)

For tuning pins, I use thin, a little at a time. The temptation is to dump a
lot at a time, but that just makes a mess. Let it soak in a little and
repeat if needed. I keep a bottle in my kit so I can add a drop or two as
needed. On real lost causes I have added a bunch more - this time of year a
fine mist of the accelerant keeps it all from wicking away from the pins
before setting up.(CA needs some humidity to work...) If it's real loose, a
little thin to wick in, followed with a little thicker one to fill the gap
works well.

I'll never pound a pin again...

Ron Koval
Chicagoland