[CAUT] New Upright Pianos

Bob Hull hullfam5 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 5 13:12:52 MST 2007

I can comment on Yamaha's P22s more than on the U1.
At Union University in Jackson, TN they bought about 7
new Yamaha P22s 3 or 4 years ago. These are placed in
part-time teacher's pianos studios (used in Community
Music Center afternoon program for kids) and also in
voice professor's studios.  One is in a  lecture hall
that is rented out for conferences etc.
  The P22s are very consistent from one piano to the
next and play well.  They are tremendously influenced
by the humidity changes (go out 15 - 25 cents between
seasons) and I can hear them already getting brighter.
 Although these are less expensive than the U1 I think
they project their tone a little more.  U1's that I
service are muffled sounding.  However, I do think the
U1 has some qualities above  the P22 in performance
and touch.  I don't know what the price difference is.
 So far, the P22's are holding up and the univ. is
happy with them.
Some P22s in other locations (new P22s) have had a lot
of key bushing problems - I judiciously ease and get
them like I want then a year later have to go back and
do more.  Also the soundboards have little  plugged
places where they've glued in another piece to make up
for a flaw and these may have sap coming out of them
on some pianos.

Bob Hull
--- Kenneth Eschete <k-eschete at northwestern.edu>