[CAUT] Firstscale attempt

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Feb 10 05:00:15 MST 2007

Hi one and all.

Lots of different things being discussed on both lists for the time
being, and I am not sure anyone has time for the scaling stuff I've been
digging through lately...  Joe Garrett, Jim Busby, and Ron Overs being
notable exceptions, and I thank them all very kindly indeed.

Be that as it may I present my first attempt at creating a scale for a
piano.  This is a very low tension instrument, the J. Bluthner I've been
working on.  The original overall tension is very near what I end up
with her... tho slightly lower.  Repositioning of the long bridge so as
to increase the length of the scale in such a way as to allow me to even
out unison tension quite a bit on the long bridge is the main change.
This mostly results in raising the tension of the highest octave and a
half, smoothing out a weird bulge in the middle of the original scale,
and otherwise creating a nice smooth inharmonicity and % of Breaking
tension (as per published table for Pure sound).  Z curve is also rather
smooth as I understand it is <<supposed>> to end up.

The bass scale is nearly identical to the origional.  Placement of the
bridge is exactly the same and there are only very small adjustments to
a couple 3-4 string lengths and diameters in an attempt to mostly get as
even an individual string tension as I could get while getting a nice Z
curve and keeping an eye on breaking tensions.

You will notice that diameters of wires are well under modern
instruments. The original scale started with 13.5 wire and used nearly
no half sizes inbetween. If anyone is interested in the original scale I
can send it too them upon request.

Any and all comments, advice, etc are more then welcome... in fact I am
requesting advice before I commit to installing the bridge as this calls
for.

Thanks and Cheers
RicB