[CAUT] Olga Kern Recital

Avery Todd atodd at uh.edu
Mon Feb 12 09:10:31 MST 2007

List,

Below are some e-mails from a good local tech
who's done some concert tuning work here in Houston.

I'm really NOT trying to "blow my own horn" but
in my experience, it's so rare that university
techs get kudos like this, I just thought I'd
pass them on. So, please forgive me for doing
this. Besides, I guess it's basically my 'swan
song' here as far as major events are concerned! :-)

The prep work was done in Dallas and the
instrument (CFIII) was moved down here for Abbey
Simon and Olga Kern. All I did was tune, voice
2-3 notes that were sticking out and adjust the
pedal play a little at Abbey's request.

Avery

This one was on the pianotech list, so some of
you probably saw it this morning!

Olga Kern played last night at University of
Houston, Moores Opera House.  By some strange
twist of the fates my wife and I ended up third
row, center- maybe 12 feet from her.  Oh my
gracious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I flinched a
number of times when she crashed into the keys
with a force I've not often seen.  It wasn't one
of the school pianos, so had to be adapted to the
environment. Evidently Yamaha sent a tech to do
the action work, but Avery Todd did the
tunings.  I have heard a very few tuners in
Houston whose work enters into the realm of
"art", and Avery certainly is one of them. I
could have a ball just sitting quietly at a piano
he's tuned and listening to intervals and sounds
and balance and all that stuff.    I had to hope
that some little thing might go the tiniest bit
out, thus proving that no piano can be perfectly
tuned, and after an hour and a half of incredibly
powerful playing the tuners in the crowd might
have noted a note or two struggling to slip a
bit.    It was a totally "wow" kind of evening,
not only aesthetically in terms of music, but in
having some small idea of the level of intuitive
work and experience required to present an
instrument so fabulously.    Kudos to those who
can regularly walk in those rarefied technical realms with confidence.

The next two came to me privately.

1. I would have been so devastated if Olga Kern
had managed to brutalize that piano all evening
and NOTHING go amiss

  Ah, I was not
disappointed!  Tiny, noticed only by the very
few, there were some notes which took a toll ,
tiny though the toll was,  at her
brutality

.  How many tunings did you put into
it and how much time?  Did she "bang in it" for
you before you did final tunings. Inquiring minds
want to know.  She was incredibly hard on it, and
it was rock solid.  I was amazed. I suspect it
was in pretty good shape when you got it, but
still it was soooooooooooooo close to perfect to
take that kind of pounding

.  So, I'd like a
blow by blow account if you have a mind for
it.  Three encores, standing ovation at the
intermission. She was spectacular- oh and she
could play the piano too

..  :-)

2. I'm seriously interested in the shape of the
piano when you got it and what you did to
it.  The brutality with which she attacked at
times made me flinch.  If you could attain that
in one or two total tunings, I think I should go
hide in a hole somewhere because I fought to hear
the tiniest thing slip, and in the end there were
a few tiny things, but it was almost as if the
tuning had been nailed down.  Sooooo,  do you
think enough about what you do when tuning to be
able to articulate how it is your body/mind
manages to sense when "stasis" has been
reached?  Every time I get a good piano,
especially if it is close and the tuning is only
tweaking, I am struck by the many ways I can mess
up each and every note because there are so many
variables going on.     I had to rib you a bit
because of the very high calibre of the tuning.
My wife even commented about listening to the
top, its clarity and "in-tune-ness".    So, since
you're about to escape the pressures of that kind
of life, please pass on gleaned wisdom.

Avery