[CAUT] Happy VD, Yamarant, and D'oh!

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Wed Feb 14 07:09:27 MST 2007

Greetings and Happy Valentine's Day, oh CAUTerized folks,

I just had the great good fortune to try to "unsqueak" a voice
teacher's P22 Ser. # T152xxx.

As much as we like P22s here (we just got 2 new last month), I
definitely found something not so tech friendly. The pedal trapwork mounting.

The teacher, who would immediately be typecast as Brunhilde by
everyone(including herself), has a commensurately heavy pedalling
technique. (minor seismic event comes to mind)  One of the little
plastic pedal mount "bearings" gave up the ghost and allowed the
pedal quite a sideways excursion. This loosened the lever center
mount screws and allowed the far end of the lever to scrape on the
back end of the toeblock.

Squeaks were coming from the pedal scraping the inside of the hole in
the toeboard, the screw in the pedal, the pivot pin in the now
unbushed mount, the center mount and the scraping along the toeblock. Fun.

Since I don't have a supply of those little plastic thingies, I stole
one from the apparently virgin middle pedal mount.

This still left the center mount wobbly. Tightening those screws is a
problem...  The pivot for the right pedal is mounted directly on the
bottom board and right next to the block holding the middle pedal.
The rod has to be removed to get at the mount screws. The problem, as
I then saw it, was getting that block out of the way so the pivot pin
could be withdrawn.

Sooo, I remove the center pedal lever and loosen the mounting screws
for the wood support block. It wiggled a little, but after ripping
the bottom board veneer to get it out, I successfully removed that
block and had access to the right pedal mount.

After tightening screws and replacing the right pedal, I picked the
wood block up and saw a sideways hole through it.  Now why did they...

D'OH!    Access to remove that right pedal pivot pin.  Silly me not
to assume that I have to first remove the left pedal trapwork to even
SEE that there is a way to remove the right pedal trapwork without
first removing the middle pedal trapwork.

I hope my retention span allows me to remember this little gem when I
have to do it again...

Is it Friday, yet?

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.