[CAUT] New Upright Pianos

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Wed Feb 14 09:19:32 MST 2007

On Feb 13, 2007, at 9:00 PM, David Ilvedson wrote:

> What a lot of complain about is failure of Steinway to address the
> glaring problems we all see.   Still, they sell all their pianos.
I think that's really the point.  Techs seem to be the only ones
complaining.  Owners love them.

I didn't say I enjoyed working on Steinway verticals.  I said you can
learn to work with them and once you do, they are easier to
appreciate, and definitely last longer.

But I have a difficult time finding fault with Steinway pianos when
there are so many el cheapos out there with so many more glaring
problems that have no business being allowed off a factory floor.
And dealers are actually allowed to sell that crap.  That, to me, is
a much bigger issue than the little problems with Steinways.  I guess
it's all relative.

> On another issue...I'm really upset with the closing of the Yamaha
> Georgia factory.   More American jobs going to China.    I have a
> mind to quit recommending Yamaha...
Interesting.  I hadn't heard that.  It is even more interesting in
light of the fact that SMC is moving production of several of its
models from Korea to Tennessee, where it also moved its world
headquarters.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina