[CAUT] Rachmaninov "solved"

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Feb 16 09:18:31 MST 2007

Ja,  except he did that so as to be accepted past the immigration
authorities.  You had to sign a paper when coming into the country back
then that you didnt belong to anything that remotely resembled a
communist organization... and that included  having a name that sounded
communist.  Same thing happened to a German family my dad knew just
after the war.  They had to change their name from Hauthaus to Outhouse
just so it wouldnt sound to German  ..... :)

just kidding.

Cheers
RicB

    Hi Susan and all,

    Just a small point about the two accepted spellings of Rachmaninoff.
    The two accepted spellings of Segei's last name is Rachmaninov and
    Rachmaninoff. But since the man himself used to sign his name as
    Rachmaninoff when he was living in the US, it should surely be
    reasonable that it be accepted as the default standard.

    Ron O.