[CAUT] Steinway Style II questions...and choices...

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Feb 21 15:15:01 MST 2007

Ah... then you are in for a treat.  Juan is a great guy, and rarely does
one meet a person so engaged in his field. Juan has dug up more
information on piano wire then George Bush could shake a tank at.  I can
also attest to the fact that anyone wanting to ustilize pure sound can
count on all kinds of help from Juan when it comes to scaling.  He
claims no extraordinary expertise in the field of scaling, but he has
gathered quite some experience doing long bridge scaling for many older
pianos.

As far as the rest of the line up... well... wish I could buzz on over.
Looks like a great line up.

Cheers
RicB

btw... I had a thought the other day.... when will we use this kind of
list to do a kind of togetherish rebuild ?  A step by step, play by play
going through the entire process discussing decisions along the way.  I
know several of you have loads of experience so nothing new for those
concerned... but I get the feeling there are several just itching to get
started.... might be just the thing ??... `?

    Speaking of Juan Mascabre and Puresound, our Pacific North West
    Conference will be held in Salt Lake City April 11-14 of this year
    and will feature Juan Mascabre who has brought us "Puresound " piano
    wire.  Ted Sambell, Steve Brady, Ron Nossaman, among other fine
    techs, will also be there to present.  Visit our website for further
    details, at PNWCPTG.org

    Vince Mrykalo RPT
    University of Utah

    Subject: Re: [CAUT] Steinway Style II questions...and choices...

    Del, David, Ric, list,

    ...I had an 1877 Style II in my shop on consignment this last year.
    This piano
    had been rebuilt 20 years before, a straightforward rebuilding of
    the time.
    It had a very substantial, powerful sound except on top where the
    lengths were
    shorter.  I restrung the top 1.5 octaves with Pure Sound stainless
    wire (Juan
    Mas Cabre did the scale work), which brightened up the top some.
    That's a good
    start. ...