[CAUT] unusual repair

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Feb 22 13:35:53 MST 2007

Hi Wim,
	I agree with Rick, and will add that I have successfully spliced low
bass strings on D's. C1 and C#1 on our current older D were both
spliced more than five years ago, with no sign of problem since.
Removing one of those pins, removing the becket, and replacing with
oversize is a bear of a job, hard to be successful at (though I've
done that, too, on A0 and A#0 on another I care for. The memory is
not a fond one. Thank god for CA. I don't plan to do it again).
	The trick to splicing such thick strings is to have the right wire,
saved from bass scraps (excess length cut off before installing) on
an earlier stringing job. Bass string scraps can match the diameter
(usually larger than #21), and are usually more malleable wire, so
will take a tuner's knot better. And the usual techniques, like
removing the tail from the hitchpin so you have maximum unwrapped
wire to work with. I do keep a full set as backup.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu