[CAUT] unusual repair

Rick Florence Rick.Florence at ASU.Edu
Fri Feb 23 11:43:30 MST 2007

Wim, a few more questions...

>> 2.  Why not splice the string?

>I don't "do" splices. Never learned, and at my age, have no intension
>of learning.

Maybe you should put that on your business card...

Willem Blees, RPT
"I'm too old to learn anything new"

I don't get it Wim.  I see you every year at the national
convention/institute.  What do you do there?

>> 3.  Do you not keep a set of strings in your inventory?

>This is the first time since I've been here that a bass string has
>broken on a D. Not enough to justify paying for a whole set just to
>sit around and get old and dead.

Isn't that a lot like saying, "I haven't had a fire since I moved here, so I
see no need for a local fire station?"

I agree that older strings lose a "little" of their original quality, but
what are we using them for - replacement in a used set.  They are going next
to old strings.  They will fit in just as well, or better, than a new
string.  I have yet to experience a dead string from our replacement sets.