[CAUT] CAUT String Repair Class....was unusual repair

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 23 14:04:46 MST 2007

This thread leads me to think there needs to be a class in advanced string repair for CAUTs (and others).

My experience has been that splicing almost always produces the best repair.  It stabilizes quickly and has the right timbre to match the other strings. This includes bass strings spliced in the speaking length and treble strings spliced in the front duplex.  It is also the fastest repair.

These repairs aren't hard to learn, given a bit of commitment to practice.

The Technical Exam Source Book has an extensive article on splicing.  It's a good place to start.

Correct repairs of loose tuning pins and correct string winding and seating procedures also need to be addressed.  I am doing some contract repairs at a college where many treble strings have been incorrectly replaced.  It is a tuning stability nightmare, and I am beginning to think it is a waste of time to try to stabilize a string that was improperly installed to begin with.

Ed Sutton