[CAUT] unusual repair

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Sat Feb 24 08:30:10 MST 2007

Quoting David Porritt <dporritt at smu.edu>:

> I keep a set of spare strings for Ms, Ls & Bs though I don't have a
> replacement set for a D.  We have another D I could rob in the
> extreme
> emergency.  I've had these spare strings for 20 years so I'd have to
> guess
> that some really are 20 years old.  They sound fine when I put them
> on.
> About once a month I order replacements for the ones I've had to use
> that
> month so I can keep the sets complete.  We have way too many broken
> strings
> not to have replacements.
>

> dp

Keeping sets for pianos which are used 24/7/365, especially if you a
lot of each kind, is different than a set for concert instruments
which gets used several hours a week at most.  But, again, in the five
years I've been here, I have had to replace mabey two or three bass
strings on any of the pianos.

Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
School of Music