[CAUT] unusual repair

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Sat Feb 24 10:12:44 MST 2007

Quoting David Porritt <dporritt at smu.edu>:

> Wim wrote:
>
> But, again, in the five
> years I've been here, I have had to replace mabey two or three bass
> strings on any of the pianos.
>
> Wow!  I replace more than that every month!  Treble strings
> considerably
> more.  One piano in a professor's studio has had 6 treble strings
> this month
> - mostly broken by his students who practice in there when he is out
> of town
> doing concerts & recitals.
>
> dp
>
> ____________________
> David M. Porritt, RPT
> dporritt at smu.edu

I've heard others say that replacing strings is an on going event in
their department. Besides very few bass strings, I have to replace a
maybe three or four treble string a year on all the pianos, grands and
verticals, in practice rooms, studios or classrooms.

This is interesting. I've got 74 pianos, of which about 15 are in
teacher's rooms who play very little. What could be the factor(s) that
contribute to more broken strings in one school as opposed to another?

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
School of Music