[CAUT] CAUT String Repair Class....was unusual repair

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Mon Feb 26 10:42:35 MST 2007

On Feb 23, 2007, at 4:04 PM, ed440 at mindspring.com wrote:

> This thread leads me to think there needs to be a class in advanced
> string repair for CAUTs (and others).

Ditto what Allan said about Chuck Cook's string repair class.  It
looks like Joel Jones will be teaching a wire splicing class this
year, also.  But every technician should know how to splice, not just
CAUTs.

> My experience has been that splicing almost always produces the
> best repair.  It stabilizes quickly and has the right timbre to
> match the other strings. This includes bass strings spliced in the
> speaking length and treble strings spliced in the front duplex.  It
> is also the fastest repair.

Hi Ed,
I will differ with you on this, just slightly.  I used to replace
every string, until I heard that splicing was the best repair.  So, I
learned how to tie a
knot.
                                  For a while, I was splicing almost
every broken string.

But the primary reason strings break is wire fatigue.  Many of the
strings I have spliced have broken again in a different place.  So
now I replace them with fresh wire probably 90% of the time.  But it
completely depends on the situation.

And, I can replace a string with new wire in under 10 minutes.
Splicing can sometimes take me closer to 30, depending on the splice
- especially the procedure you described for Sid.

Splicing is a tool you definitely need in your bag, but I don't think
I agree that it is almost always the best repair.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina