[CAUT] Parts

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Jan 2 13:24:47 MST 2007

Hi Alan.

I will buy Renner because between Renner and Abel I prefer Renner and
because Steinway NY parts are not available here and I've never looked
up a Tokiwa supplier here in Europe.

I nearly always repin hammer shank flanges regardless of who I have
acquired them from.  I find that tho overall friction can seem
reasonably consistant , each side of the bushing is less reliable thus.

Question.... Shank Radius weight at 5 grams ?????  How are you taking
this measurement.  By Stanwood protocol I average around 1.5 grams and
almost never see over 2 grams in a set.

Knuckles are another thing I check closely regardless of supplier. The
S&S flange allows for cross papering.

Cheers
RicB

    When you buy your next action parts - shanks, flanges, backchecks and
    wippens - which manufacturer are you going to choose? And why?

    Abel?
    Tokiwa?
    Renner?
    Steinway?

    I am currently working on a S&S M replacing S&F only and using Abel
    parts.
    Not finished with the job yet, but so far I like the parts.

    Pinning consistent at around 3g.
    Shank radius weight mostly at 5g, with a dozen at 4g and another
    dozen at
    6g.
    Knuckle line is good. (Though I had to do a lot of flange papering to
    compensate for the S&S rail design. I can't see much advantage to this
    design. What am I missing?)

    Thanks for your thoughts and experience.

    Alan