[CAUT] huge pitch raise question

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Mon Jan 8 13:03:44 MST 2007

On a large p/r I set the VT to A = +8 cents with an additional 10% overpull
in the treble starting at A4. Second pass +4 with treble overpull if needed.
Subsequent passes are either 440 or 441 (+4c).

I'm a smooth-pull tuner. A newbee who learned the jerk-style method
watched me tune and saw the benefit and does it now.  I look at it
like moving a piano, you don't slam your body into it to move it,
you apply increasing more force until the object moves. It's more
controllable for me. The only impact I use is light taps to address
pin torque.  I like to feel how much torque is in the pin so I can set
a solid tuning.

I've watched tuners use the jerk method and it seemed to me they were
chasing the pitch more than needed. A smooth technique pulls it right in.
Listening to a jerk-style tuning is very annoying to me.

As far as the breaking strings, change your style a little, smaller impacts for
instance might reduce stress on the wire. Try a smooth pull technique.
Find what works best for you.
--

Regards,

Jon Page